Software Engineer III
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States
Requisition Number: 151870
Position Title: Software Engineer III
EA Digital Platform (EADP) Marketplace - Software Engineer III
We Are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That's why we employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry.
Save the planet from Alien Invaders. Score the winning touchdown.
Yup - It's the coolest job on the planet!
The Challenge Ahead:
Is to build our new cross-game, cross-platform digital economy platform. This large-scale, always-on services will power the virtual-economies of EA’s network of games that will be experienced by tens of millions of daily active users. You'll have the opportunity to build sophisticated platform capabilities handling several hundred-thousand requests per second, and driving the player engagement of many of the industries most popular titles. You'll be able to build server-side systems that deliver new functionality within the larger Digital Platform, as well as work on regular improvements to the systems to keep them at top notch performance.
What a Software Engineer III does within EADP Marketplace Division at EA:
As a Software Engineer III, your primary responsibility will be to lead the software design and architecture process of our new systems. Most of your time will be spent developing features and optimizing performance, robustness, and scalability of server systems. You will also spend time working with product managers to innovate new features to support EA's many games and reduce technical debt associated with legacy systems through innovation and automation. Additionally, you will be a champion for best practices within the engineering team.
- Roughly 75% hands-on coding
- Create and work on large-scale distributed backend services creating new features and updating existing capabilities
- Resolve defects during QA testing, pre-production, production and from the live environment
- Work with multiple game studios on multiple different platforms who use the services and features you create to complete user-facing features
- Architect and design large portions of the software from features to entire applications
- Grow and guide other engineers
- Occasional off-hours support for development needs and support of the live environment helping to ensure our consumer experience is always world class
Required Skills / Experience:
- A passion for working in gaming
- 7 or more years’ experience developing object-oriented software (preferably in Java)
- 4 or more years’ experience working on online services (HTTP via REST) at Internet consumer scale
- Experience working on high traffic services and highly scalable systems
- Experience working with cloud technologies to build SaaS applications
- Use of technologies such as Redis, Kafka, NoSQL systems in production systems and other OSS tech
- Superb communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong understanding of the Software design/architecture process
- Superb ability to take high-level direction and know how to execute against it
- Strong understanding of DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and Agile development
- Experience with unit testing
- Experience developing, maintaining and innovating large scale distributed applications
- Experience with source control systems
Nice to have Skills:
- Experience with one or more scripting languages
- Experience with Maven
- Experience with Actor model (e.g., Orbit, Akka)
- Experience with Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA
- Experience with load testing and system analysis
- Experience with other languages such as Go, Kotlin
- Experience leading a team of engineers
- Experience working with remote teams
- Domain experience in economics, commerce, and/or fraud areas
What's In It For YOU? Glad You Asked!
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. Health, Dental, Financial offered (ESPP and RRSP matching); Bonus and relocation assistance also offered.
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineer III
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-08-02 22:36:58.043
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.