Asia Studios - Head of Technology
Location: Shanghai, Shanghai Shi CN
Requisition Number: 150707
Position Title: Principal Technical Director
Asia Studios - Head of Technology
The Head of Technology (HoT) is the technical leader of for the Asia Studios group including Spearhead, Popcap Shanghai, and EA Japan. The HoT is accountable for all aspects of technology within the group, ranging from long term technology roadmaps to supporting game teams with project related risk mitigation plans. The HoT will work collaboratively with Tech leaders from the three studios as well as across EA to define the future vision of Frostbite HD, Osiris/Frostbite Mobile, live service strategy, EADP and other initiatives that support the success of our games short and long term.
The HoT is the group’s interface to the greater company’s technology groups including Frostbite, EADP, Origin and the Global Business Insights team. The HoT needs to be a strong proponent of EA’s one-engine strategy as well as its Digital Platform and Network strategy by proactively partnering with the central teams and game teams across the company to define the technology vision for the company.
Internally facing the HoT is accountable for creating a modern engineering culture that promotes creativity, efficiency and sharing across the three studios in Asia. The HoT should lead the group’s TDs to follow engineering and game development best practices and can coach technical leaders helping to identify and mitigate risks across the portfolio of projects in development. Another key responsibility is to partner with HR and recruiting to build the best technical teams in the world and to ensure the right skill sets are present across the group.
The HoT will be able to navigate in complex live service environments liaising with top publishing partners in Asia. Managing the Asia Central Technical team in Asia and working closely the rest of the organization incl. the EADP team to propel Asia Studios and EA in the next era of Games-as-a-Service.
The HoT is a key member of senior group leadership, reporting to the Group GM and partnering closely with the Head of Operations. The HoT will play a critical role in shaping the values of the organization and its strategic objectives. The HoT is someone actively communicates and contributes to the vision of the group bringing technical domain expertise to the table.
- Lead Technology Direction for the Group
- Define 3-Year Technical Roadmaps for technology within Asia Studios.
- Work as part of the Group’s senior leadership team to define strategic objectives for the Group.
- Oversee the technical implementation and estimates of game projects.
- Work with lead software developers and other leaders to validate important technical decisions, identify and mitigate technical risks and solve problems encountered along projects.
- Drive the development of libraries/ tools targeted towards boosting efficiency of production and quality of products.
- Work with the studio technical leads and game technical directors to achieve defined technical roadmaps.
- Review the technical quality of all major project milestones and evaluate feasibility of plans.
- Define configuration management, automation and operational strategies in partnership with central teams
- Measure and improve code quality across all studios in the Group.
- Help with recruiting and retaining world-class talent at the studio locations.
- Coach and mentor software developers and guide their professional development.
- Work with recruiting to develop hiring practices to support successful growth.
- Work with IT to provide Asia Studios with the best development environments.
- Identify production blockers before they manifest and provide technical solutions that help the game teams gain efficiency.
- Set group vision and corresponding culture that motivates and retains world class talent required for success
- Emphasize project goals and maintain core focus.
- Asia Central Tech. Team
- Manage and Grow Asia Central Tech. Team
- Drive to implement common solution for Asia Studios
- Set the ACT’s vision and try to generalize solution for EA
- Lead key partnerships
- Align technical objectives with the wider EA senior technical leaders.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with studios across EA on common Frostbite extensions.
- Formalize and follow up on roadmaps for cross-group technology collaborations.
- Help drive EA wide Strategic Initiatives
- Use a deep understanding of the games industry and gaming technology to pursue new technology opportunities at the edge of gaming and game-as-a-service.
- Provide technical architecture feedback on key companywide technologies.
- The person we are looking for is someone who lives and breathes games, has a strong mix of technical and people leadership experience from the gaming industry, and a track record of delivery.
- Advanced degree in software engineering or computer science, with 10+ years in the game industry, having shipped at least 3 AAA F2P game or Mobile titles from start to finish in a key technical leadership role.
- Expert understanding of C/C++.
- Strong Online/Mobil development experience with an understanding of production workflows, low level optimization strategies and efficiency considerations in large 200+ person game teams.
- Strong Leadership and communication skills
- Able to work and communicate well in a very multi-cultural environment.
- Proactive and creative problem solver.
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible and collaborative under pressure
- Open world, online and Action Adventure experience a plus.
- Experience collaborating across locations and geographies a plus.
- Experience shipping games on a variety of large scale game engines a plus
- Experience shipping games on 3rd party publishing business model
Community / Marketing Title: Asia Studios - Head of Technology
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-05-31 05:05:25.33
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Shanghai, Shanghai Shi CN