Location: Austin, Texas US
Requisition Number: 119100
Position Title: Animation Director
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
What the Animation Director will do at BioWare:
The next great BioWare Animation Director will bring our games to life by directing the team that creates exciting, believable and unique motion across in-game and cinematic disciplines. Defining, establishing and maintaining the animation vision.
Who You Are:
Exceptional technical and aesthetic ability are vital to the creation of believably and engagingly animating characters. Our characters are the cornerstone of the visually stunning, immersive games we create, taking a tremendous amount of skill and talent.
The portfolio should highlight the animator’s:
- High level of skill across all animation disciplines; both in-game and cinematic. Traditional animation experience a plus
- Ability to use Maya / Motion Builder or similar
- Understanding of complex state flow systems
- Clean and optimised animation workflow
- Ability to work with and from reference materials, such as mocap / video
What skills and qualifications do we look for?
- Can develop and communicate animation vision in a way that inspires the team and provides clear direction
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- The ability to direct motion capture shoots with multiple performers
- Understanding of facial performance capture process
- Ability and willingness to lead internal teams in a personnel management capacity
- Coach mentor and provide direction to a team both technically and from a career perspective
- Ability to work with Development Directors to establish deliverables/schedules/dependency management
- Work with external vendors to help create briefs and define technical guidelines and review
- Work effectively in a cross functional team, understanding complex asset dependencies
- Experience working as part of a senior creative team
- Excels in Maya
- Understanding of story, layout, editorial. Ability to draw storyboards a plus
- MEL, Python, scripting knowledge is a plus
- Strong organizational skills (pipeline optimization, goal setting, writing documentation, etc.)
- Frostbite / Unreal experience a plus
- 7-10 years or more experience
- Education required: completion of high school, some college, vocational training or University or equivalent work experience/training
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Community / Marketing Title: Animation Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-04-10 08:00:00.0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Austin, Texas US