BioWare: Sr. Technical Artist
Location: Edmonton, Alberta CA
Requisition Number: 152507
Position Title: Sr Technical Artist
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
BioWare is searching for a Lead Technical Artist to lay the groundwork on upcoming future titles. The Technical Artist is a contributor on the art team who supports the technical delivery of art across a distributed production environment.
What a Technical Artist does at EA/BioWare:
Technical Artists are the bridge between art and programming departments, and have the capability to understand the nuances of art creation and technical code. Candidates should be able to demonstrate efficient techniques for creating high quality art and explore new paths for future pipelines and content. This role in the art department is critical to the success of our titles.
NOTE: Portfolio Required (details below)
- 5+ years of experience in a game production environment.
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D art packages (Maya, Photoshop desired, Substance Painter/Designer and Houdini a plus) and experience in scripting/programming (Python preferred, node-based shaders and HLSL a plus).
- Foundational understanding of 3D concepts such as modeling, texturing, rendering, shading, lighting, rigging, skinning, dynamics, particle systems, and image manipulation techniques.
- Familiarity with game engine workflows, asset requirements, performance budgets and profiling, build systems, and asset conditioning/export pipelines. Previous experience setting up a AAA game from the ground up is preferred.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills. Candidate must able to quickly identify and resolve art issues and demonstrate versatility.
- Work alongside Tech Art team and with Tech Art Director to support each other, uphold game and studio vision, reach consensus, provide/receive constructive feedback, innovate, share knowledge openly, and cultivate ideas, with the goal of creating performant assets of high visual quality and technologies that move BioWare into the future.
- Help artists produce PBR compliant and performant work in Frostbite engine, with particular attention to assessing, designing, implementing, documenting, communicating, enforcing, and maintaining art workflows that meet (or anticipate) artist needs and effectively drive productivity for content creators on game team and across all BioWare titles.
- Collaborate and communicate with content creators using a service-minded attitude, seeking to understand requirements and offer support (via time, training, documentation, or other forms) as necessary.
- Exhibit a commitment to continuously learning and familiarizing oneself with various technologies, technical concepts, ideas, and problems.
- Approach tasks in a timely, organized, and meticulous manner, self-prioritizing as required and communicating status and results to stakeholders as appropriate.
It is required that you submit a portfolio/presentation of your work with your application. You may do so by providing a link to an online presentation, or attaching documents to your resume. All presentations must contain a detailed breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for.
Please apply with as many examples of the following as you can:
- Tools and pipeline work. Provide scripts and/or code samples.
- Shader work (node-based and code-based). Provide samples of visual and technical implementation.
- For example: exhibit how you took a problem, went about solving it, and show the result as part of a video capture or a series of screenshots. Include any relevant code.
- Examples of 3D graphics in areas such as modeling, animation, lighting, and visual effects.
- Any art (traditional or digital media) that you have personally created.
Due to the volume of applications we receive for our job postings, we are unable to respond personally to phone or email inquiries regarding the status of an application. Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
The opportunity to work and learn from a world-class games studio making world-class games. We are a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Community / Marketing Title: BioWare: Sr. Technical Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-09-14 03:24:46.68
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Edmonton, Alberta CA