Associate External Art Manager
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia CA
Requisition Number: 152371
Position Title: Artist 2
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
BioWare External Art Manager
Who the External Art Manager is for BioWare:
The Outsource Manager's day to day consist of leadership responsibilities for large teams at partner studios around the world. Strong character-focused art skills and general game-art skills, great communication, and experience working with remote teams in other regions are critical for this role.
Building strong, functional relationships across the BioWare studios and the wider EA organization is a must and travel to the different studios is encouraged alongside international travel, continuing to build and maintain our close relationships with external partners as well as seeking out new ones.
Reporting to the Director of Art and Animation, you will be a key contributor to departmental strategy, bringing the benefit of your knowledge and experience to a range of topics that can affect the team such as training opportunities, performance management and mentorship.
- 5+ years game development experience in an art lead or senior artist
- History with working on character assets for HD titles.
- Experienced at building and maintaining collaborative relationships with outsource partners across all relevant disciplines.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Proven ability at providing artistic / technical and development feedback on all incoming assets (2D, 3D props / layouts, animation & tech animation) and integrating them into the appropriate game pipelines.
- Able to accurately estimate time to complete work.
- Ability to follow direction, managing competing priorities and work independently within established parameters.
- Manages and facilitates the art outsourcing process from briefto successful implementation in-game.
- Creates relationships with external partners and vendors and assisting vendors in achieving the highest level of asset creation.
- Performs thorough and comprehensive reviews and critiques of received materials, over multiple iterations, both independently and in collaboration with Art Leads.
- Collates feedback from BioWare discipline leads and provides timely, clear and consistent feedback to outsource partners.
- Partners with the Electronic Arts External Partners Division, to adopt best practices, and contribute with information, research results and feedback.
- Maintains an awareness of artist tasks, risks and related design and technical dependencies with regard to outsourced content.
- Works with art directors, project management team and other studios to coordinate the milestone schedule and contribute to on-time game delivery.
- Maintains contact with off-site art teams and contractors to ensure quality and deadlines are met.
- Takes an active role in preproduction and planning of the project.
- Proactively identifies risks associated with meeting project milestones. Ensures necessary and appropriate steps are taken to resolve issues which may impede progress or compromise achievement of project's objectives.
- Provides partnership and load balancing to, and receives the same from, other External Art team members.
- Provides leadership, mentorship and art direction to artists employed by partner studiosIn conjunction with project Art Direction team: identifies and assesses potential partners globally and their ability to deliver timely assets of appropriate art quality.
- Tracks partner art quality by conducting ongoing due diligence portfolio reviews in conjunction with other EA studios.
- Researches, creates and maintains a database of external partners.
- Makes recommendations on process/tool changes to ensure timely, efficient delivery of art assets.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
The opportunity to work and learn from a world-class games studio making world-class games. We are a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Contact: Shanda Wood: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community / Marketing Title: Associate External Art Manager
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-09-04 16:40:49.807
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Vancouver, British Columbia CA