BioWare: Senior VFX Artist
Location: Austin, Texas US
Requisition Number: 152354
Position Title: Sr Visual Effects Artist
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
BioWare is looking for a talented Sr. Visual Effects Artist to join our creative team and work on Star Wars™: The Old Republic.
Visual Effects Artists at BioWare research, conceptualize, and animate environment effects, combat effects and cinematic effects. Candidates must have an experienced eye for detail and the ability to work as an integral part of a focused team. Successful candidates must be proficient in VFX animation and have an understanding of physical principals. We are also looking for strong problem- solving skills.
What a VFX Artist at BioWare will do:
- Develops a large range of visual effect art assets according to the agreed design and within the constraints of the target hardware and software. These art assets include particle systems, meshes, textures, materials, and animations.
- Work with the VFX team, including mentoring junior members
- Have substantial ownership over the VFX team
- Have input into the creative process in the development of new areas, looking for new opportunities in how VFX work can be incorporated
- Partners closely with the team discipline leads and technical artists and will be responsible for creating spectacular visual effects.
- Responsible for all technical and aesthetic considerations for the project’s visual effect art style.
- Manages in-game particle effects work, explosions, energy FX, weather effects, skyboxes, etc.
- Communicates with programmers and designers as necessary to bring tasks to completion.
- Provides creative input specific to assigned tasks.
Who You Are:
- 4+ years’ experience in the game industry (or demonstrated equivalent visual effects ability)
- Experience with creating FX in a game engine
- Experience in Photoshop (required), 3ds Max (preferred), After Effects (preferred). Houdini experience an advantage.
- Experience with a scripting language (Mel, Maxscript or Python, etc.)
- Experience with real-time, node-based shader editors in modern game engines
- Ability to view visual reference of an effect, deconstruct it, and re-create it in a real-time game engine
- Strong knowledge of environmental effects, cloth simulations, lighting and dynamics
- Understanding of PBR compliancy and lighting
- Ability to be creative beyond reality and demonstrate a flair for sensational and extraordinary effects
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Solid Technical abilities to aid in creating new visual effects art pipelines
**3D Portfolio Requirements**
A link to your portfolio must be included with your application/resume. All portfolios must contain a detailed shot breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for in your reel, screenshots, scanned pictures, web page portfolio, etc.
(Please include as many of the following elements as you can)
- Examples of natural and organic effects (smoke, fire, waterfalls)
- Examples of fantastical effects animation (spells, explosions)
- Examples of rigid or soft body dynamics
- Effects created in a game engine
- Examples of modeling texturing and lighting
- Examples of various animations
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Community / Marketing Title: BioWare: Senior VFX Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-08-30 16:03:49.03
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Austin, Texas US