Head of Technology - BioWare
Location: Austin, Texas US
Requisition Number: 151961
Position Title: Sr Director Engineering
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
This position is open to be based in the Austin or Edmonton Studio
We are looking for a Head of Technology to serve as the senior technical leader for BioWare’s Studios. The Head of Technology is accountable for all aspects of technology within the studio, ranging from long term technology roadmaps to supporting game teams with project-related risk mitigation plans. The Head of Technology will work collaboratively with BioWare’s discipline leaders across all departments and projects through our technical directors and engineers to shape the success of our games.
The Head of Technology also engages heavily with the EA CTO organization to influence EA central technology (EA Digital Platform and Frostbite) to help drive advancement of BioWare’s needs within EA’s overall technology strategy. The Head of Technology needs to be a strong proponent of EA’s one-engine strategy as well as its Digital Platform and Player Network strategy
Internally facing, the Head of Technology mentors our studio’s Technical Directors to follow engineering and game development best practices and can coach technical leaders by helping them to identify and mitigate risks across the portfolio of projects in development. The person is also accountable for supporting BioWare’s Director of Programming to create a modern engineering culture that promotes creativity, efficiency and sharing.
The Head of Technology is a member of BioWare’s Leadership Team, reporting to the GM and partnering closely with the Head of Operations and Director of Programming. This person will play a role in shaping the studio’s strategic objectives. The Head of Technology is someone who actively contributes to the vision of the studio by consistently and effectively bringing technical domain expertise to the team.
- A member of the BioWare Leadership Team, taking part in strategic discussions for the studio
- Responsible for defining and ensuring BioWare franchises achieve technical quality targets
- As BioWare's senior Technical Director, works closely with franchise Technical Directors to set technical KPIs and build risk mitigation plans for franchise success
- Principal reviewer and approver of technical gate (GDF) and milestone review approvals
- Owns and directs BioWare’s “One Codebase” initiative to maximize efficiency and innovation
- Sets multi-year strategic technical targets and roadmaps for BioWare
- Builds innovation plans for studio in collaboration with EP goals; partners with Department Directors to execute against plans
- Member of EA CTO's "Head of Tech" Council which influences EA's technical strategies across all technical domains
- Leads key partnerships as principal relationship manager with VP-level leaders for EA central groups, including Frostbite and EADP
- Works with IT to provide world class development environments
- Works with studio discipline leaders and external partners to drive creation of world class tools for our developers
- Measures code quality and workflows efficiency across the studio; builds plans for improvement
- Supports Director of Programming "quality in the workplace" initiatives and helps ensure they align with technical strategy
- Stays current with game and tech industry trends in order to help influence BioWare strategies
The person we are looking for has a strong mix of technical and people leadership experience from the gaming industry, and a track record of delivery.
- Proven leadership skills in a technology-focused role, ideally as a CTO or senior technical leader that influences and directs multiple projects or efforts in an organization
- 10+ years in the game industry, having shipped AAA titles from start to finish as a Technical Director or other key technical leadership role
- Experience collaborating with and influencing executive-level leadership outside of a studio
- Advanced degree in software engineering or computer science or related field
- Expert understanding of software development processes on large scale projects, include expert knowledge of related programming language technologies
- Strong online development experience, particularly with distributed and multi-process architectures for large online games
- Strong HD development experience with an understanding of production workflows, low level optimization strategies and efficiency considerations in large 200+ person game teams
- Proactive and creative problem solver
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible and collaborative under pressure
- Experience shipping games on a variety of large scale technology bases a plus
- Some travel is required
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/austin
Contact: Shannon Schlothauer - email@example.com
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Community / Marketing Title: Head of Technology - BioWare
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-08-16 16:50:45.963
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Austin, Texas US