Software Engineer - Rendering (C++)
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
Requisition Number: 156545
Position Title: Software Engineer II
The Rendering Engineer will drive the process of generating an image from a model by means of computer programs.
Rendering is the process of generating an image from a model by means of computer programs. A Rendering Engineer is responsible for profiling and optimizing rendering, lighting and shading components of a game engine, and programming the core rendering tool, feature, and engine components of a game engine. They are also responsible for creating leading edge reusable technologies, both systems and engines (if required), and managing complex texture compositing, dynamic lighting, and shadow volume calculations.
The Rendering Software Engineer is a part of the game creation process, including architectural design, implementation, and debugging on multiple platforms working on complex problems with Designers, Artists and other Engineers in the domain of computer graphics.
What skills does EA look for?
A Rendering Engineer must have strong C++ skills, plus experience with RenderWare, Direct 3D, Open GL, or equivalent. They should also have strong math skills (trigonometry, calculus, and linear algebra) and a solid background in rendering with experience in shaders, animation, skinning, lighting, special effects, and tools development.
- Work with a team of software engineers
- Research cutting-edge rendering techniques.
- Write technical design specifications.
- Design, maintain, implement, test and debug code.
- Program core rendering tools, feature and engine components to required coding standards.
- Profiling and optimizing rendering, lighting and shading components of a game engine.
- Create leading edge reusable technologies, both systems and engines if required.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
- 10+ years development experience
- Proficiency with C++ (Visual C++ or Visual .NET recommended).
- Experience in object-oriented design and implementation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices.
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization.
- Experience in the design and implementation of cutting-edge graphics techniques and detailed knowledge of graphics hardware.
- Strong math skills including trigonometry, calculus and linear algebra.
- Formal background in rendering with experience that may include shaders, animation, skinning, lighting, special effects and tool development.
- Experience with RenderWare, Direct 3D, Open GL or equivalent.
- Prior experience shipping a console (i.e. PS4, Xbox One)
- Experience with assembler (PowerPC, ARM), scripting languages (Perl, Python, Lua) and C#.
- Experience with graphics tools and exporters such as Maya, MotionBuilder and Photoshop; knowledge of Maya API and Mel programming.
- Ability to test, debug, and extend other Software Engineer’s code competently.
- Experienced candidates should have expertise in a number of these fields: vertex and pixel shaders including HLSL and FX; terrain or environment rendering; advanced lighting techniques, particle systems, special effects, art pipelines, tool development and game engine architecture.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Constantly innovate how to improve product quality as well as group productivity.
- Excellent decision-making capabilities.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions.
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks.
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineer - Rendering (C++)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-07-17 18:27:48.897
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.