Location: Redwood City, California, United States
Requisition Number: 117138
Position Title: Sr Software Engineer I
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer/Architect - Data
We are EA
And we make games – how cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead:
The EA Digital Platform Data Group is responsible for developing a unified Big Data pipeline across all game franchises at Electronic Arts. This platform incorporates data collection, ingestion, processing, access and visualization all built on a modern, cloud based tech stack with best-in-class tools. The Data Group provides the tools and platform which power
s the future state of game development, marketing, sales, accounting and customer experience including cutting edge, dynamic in-game player experiences powered by extensive real-time game telemetry.
We are looking for a seasoned software architect who is interested in working on a large scale distributed data system from the ground up for one of the most creative, innovative companies in technology.
What a Sr Software Engineer – Data does at EA:
- Serve as a data system architect and senior engineer, and drive execution of large-scale projects
- Help define and build a unified data platform across EA, spanning 20+ game studios as data sources
- Work closely with data scientist, engineers, and product managers to understand requirements, shape products, architect solutions, and deliver results in production
- Develop infrastructure to slice and dice data, leveraging Hadoop, Map/Reduce, and Spark
- Design and develop reporting systems that inform on key metrics, detect anomalies, and forecast future results
- Design, develop and optimize complex queries to solve data mining problems
- Write reliable and efficient programs scaling to massive (petabyte) datasets and large clusters of machines
- Ability to work with both SQL and NoSQL solutions
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of data collection, extraction, and storage processes
- Stand up real-time data processing and metric computation pipelines
- Build scalable live services that provide data-driven in-game experiences
- Drive and conduct research on large scale data systems as needed to help build next generation data platforms.
The next great EA Sr Software Engineer – Data also needs:
- 5+ years of software development experience, writing clean reusable code, test-driven development, and continuous integration
- Great communication, time-management, and teamwork skills
- Ability to champion the power of and the technologies behind data-driven decision making in an effective manner with game studios and other customers within EA
- Significant experience working with large-scale distributed systems and data platforms/warehouses
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in algorithms, data structures, and software design
- Extensive experience with MapReduce, Hadoop, Hive, or other NoSQL stacks
- Experience with real-time data pipelines and components such as Kafka, Storm, Spark Streaming.
- Experience with distributed platforms used for machine learning such as Spark.
- Experience developing Experimentation and A/B Testing platforms.
- Fluency with an Object-Oriented language including Java AND/OR C++, and SQL, Python
- Fast prototyping skills, familiarity with scripting languages such as bash, awk, python
- Experience working with columnar analytics databases or relational databases is a plus
- Experience with data modeling and BI tools is a plus
- Self-directed and capable of working effectively in a highly dynamic fast-paced environment
- Mentorship skills to help junior developers achieve their technical and project delivery goals
- Ability to lead virtual team of engineers on key projects
- Must have a PhD degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and at least five years professional experience at world class online companies with massive (petabyte) data systems
- Publications at top-tier technical conferences or journals
What's in it for YOU? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Manager
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-04-12 08:00:00.0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.