Lead Level Designer (Star Wars Team)
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Requisition Number: 160823
Position Title: Creative Director I [IC]
Respawn Entertainment is hiring! Learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We’re looking for a highly skilled Lead Level Designer to join our Star Wars team. Reporting to the Design Director, the Lead Level Designer will help oversee the creative efforts of the Level Design team, will lead by example, and will help set the quality bar for the department. Our ideal candidate has strong level design sensibilities both technically and creatively, and is experienced as a lead or senior member of a Level Design team. We are picturing someone with a passion for level design and the ability to both inspire and execute, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you’ll do...
- Supervise Level Designers and help ensure the quality of the department’s work is at a high level.
- Work closely with Game Director, Design Directors, and departments such as Environment Art, Narrative, Code, Technical Design, Combat Design, and Animation to deliver level designs that epitomize the creative vision of the game and meet the requirements of the gameplay experience.
- Contribute to establishing and enforcing consistent design practices, constraints, and metrics throughout projects.
- Research subject matter relating to the design objective in an effort to ensure the authenticity of the experience.
- Serve as advocate for the department’s goals, needs, and desires. Help remove roadblocks, raise red flags, etc.
- Collaborate with leads in other departments to ensure good communication and solid working relationships between departments.
- Help set quality bar through hands-on creation and ownership of level designs from conception to the final stages of polish, facilitating communication and coordinating departments to ensure the vision is clearly understood.
- Lead by example and help develop, motivate, and mentor other designers, both creatively and professionally. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
- Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, streamline processes, and work cross-functionally with other departments.
- Be a positive influence on the entire team and as a Designer, evangelize the ultimate promise to deliver “fun.”
- Play a critical role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
- Actively self-critique and accept outside critique. The more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the game.
Ideally, you will have...
- 7+ years’ experience in the games industry working in a level design capacity, shipping at least two titles.
- Experience working with a game engine, using scripting tools to orchestrate events, and implementing 3D work into the pipeline.
- Ability to lead by example, in both quality of work and professional conduct.
- Extensive understanding of level design process including level flow, engagement, structure, pacing, environmental storytelling, testing, etc.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
- Expert game design sensibilities.
- Passion about the play experience, with a wealth of knowledge across a wide range of games.
- Ability to pitch game design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
- Examples of your level design work which demonstrate your design sensibilities and process.
- Strong understanding of level editing packages such as Maya, Unity, UDK, or other proprietary tools.
- A team player-mindset, understanding the importance of collaboration, and able to communicate effectively with all disciplines and departments.
- A strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and ability to inspire positivity within their team.
- Ability to both receive and deliver constructive criticism.
- Empathy for addressing the problems of others, respect for others’ time.
- Ability to proactively identify and deal with issues before they arise.
- Ability to learn and master new tools and techniques.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Shipped AAA game/s a plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and work samples and we will get back to you once we have reviewed!
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Level Designer (Star Wars Team)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-04-24 01:45:45.29
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.