Data Scientist - Velan Studios (An EA Partner Studio)
Location: New York, United States
Requisition Number: 158641
Position Title: Contingent
Please do not apply here through the EA careers site.
We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer focused on creating ground-breaking innovative game experiences across existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios’ team members have created, developed, and contributed to some of the most impactful and innovative game franchises of the last 20 years, including Skylanders, Destiny, Uncharted, Rock Band, Tony Hawk, Mario Maker, Team Fortress 2, Donkey Kong Country, and Guitar Hero.
At Velan, we believe in maintaining a collaborative, diverse, and creative team environment and we’re looking for new team members who have a desire to help grow our studio.
About the Role:
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to support the production of a new title in development at Velan Studios. This individual will work closely with the project’s key leaders to turn data into information, information into insight, and insight into business decisions. The Data Scientist will develop analysis and reporting capabilities while monitoring performance and quality control plans to identify improvements as well as stay ahead of technology and games industry trends.
If you have a passion for analyzing data and influencing how we can use this information to improve our game quality and our customers’ experience, we want to hear from you! Your insights will influence game design to drive retention and monetization of our products.
- Design, implement, interpret and monitor key metrics (e.g. game play data) for market and product trends; leverage qualitative and quantitative analyses to understand and communicate root causes of the changes in metrics
- Instrument events directly within the game engine through custom scripting language. Setup web -based dashboards for visualizing the data.
- Advise and collaborate with internal product teams to determine data capture needs and the best methodology for meeting those needs as well as presentation of them
- Prepare professional results in presentation and document format
- Provide ongoing insights into trends and dynamics within the game industry as well as adjacent industries such as social media, video streaming and technologies
- Build and analyze live dashboards and reports
- Provide ad hoc analyses regularly
- Perform quality assurance on generated results to ensure accuracy and consistency
- Stay abreast of key competitors and industry trends
Requirements & Qualifications
- Degree in a technical field with quantitative and statistical analysis (e.g. Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, etc.)
- Practical experience in creating and applying statistics-based analysis models: clustering, simulations, conjoint analysis/AB testing methods, probability models such as p-tests and t-tests, etc.
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Strong knowledge of and expertise with report packages (e.g. Business Objects, etc.), databases (e.g. SQL, etc.) and MS Excel mastery (e.g. PivotTables, VBA, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of statistical analysis packages: R-Studio, Matlab, etc.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Ability to prepare professional documents and presentations using Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to quickly and independently learn new concepts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tell a compelling story supported by data
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Passion for continuous improvement
- Game industry experience analyzing live ops, including at least one shipped AAA title
- A passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends
- Project management and process improvement experience (e.g. six sigma certification)
To apply for this position, send your send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to reference the position you’re applying for in the subject line.
About Velan Studios:
Velan Studios’ mission is to create ground-breaking game experiences centered on new forms of play across both existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios is an independent studio comprised of a diverse team of seasoned developers who have worked at various AAA studios like Vicarious Visions, Naughty Dog, Harmonix, Nintendo, Avalanche Studios, Retro Studios, Valve and more. Velan Studios is based in Troy, NY.
Community / Marketing Title: Data Scientist - Velan Studios (An EA Partner Studio)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-11-15 14:20:58.927
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.