Senior DB Engineer
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Requisition Number: 156033
Position Title: Senior DB Engineer
Senior MySQL Database Administrator
We are EA
And we make games – how cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The Senior MySQL Database Administrator will provide the technical domain and leadership required to effectively deliver high-quality, timely solutions and services that meet EA’s business needs with a focus on the Online IT line of business. The Senior MySQL DBA’s primary focus is to research, evaluate, plan, design, optimize, implement and support all aspects of EA’s Online MySQL databases in a high volume transactional environment with critical uptime requirements. This position requires excellent knowledge of MySQL Database and various High Availability solutions with expertise in Performance tuning, troubleshooting and database backup/recovery.
We are looking for talented, self-motivated individuals with the capability and drive to support the premiere online architecture for EA games. We want creative, committed and communicative people who want to be part of developing the best platform for some of the industry’s most talented game teams. We encourage our employees to be involved and have a strong go-ahead spirit. In return, we provide great individual freedom and autonomy, true influence and a flat hierarchy.
What a Senior Database Administrator does at EA:
- Has expert level knowledge in MySQL and willing to learn and work on additional technologies
- Ownership of Game launches by ensuring on-time delivery, Operational Readiness and performance optimization of EA’s databases and related infrastructure.
- Mentors DB engineers in their Projects, Deliveries and Production support.
- Effective coordination with Infrastructure and Game Teams during incident resolutions.
- Ensure quality and consistency of design, development (if applicable), testing, and integration testing cycles and deliverables, adhering to Architecture, PMO, and compliance guidelines.
- Collaborates with other engineers to implement guidelines, methodologies, and documentation.
- Builds strong relationships with key stakeholders across organizations.
- Drives POCs and R&D in new DB and Infrastructure Technologies.
- Implement and maintain the highest level of security standards by following established standards and recommendations from security advisors.
- Drive major version DB upgrades and establish related Operational procedures and Best practices.
- Establishes Zero Downtime (ZDT) processes and procedures in his areas of responsibility.
- Along with excellent verbal and written communication skills, must have strong interpersonal, conflict resolution, customer service, and problem-solving skills.
- Drives continuous improvement of Delivery and Support standards. And ensures that all processes and procedures are fully documented, kept up to date and properly socialized.
- Usage of various MySQL & Percona tools for troubleshooting, monitoring, Backup & recovery, Replication, and HA setup.
- On-call rotation is required to support a 24/7 environment and is also expected to be able to work outside business hours to support a global delivery.
The exceptional EA Database Administrator also needs:
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- 8+ years of total IT and Database Administration experience with at least 2+ years in developing, tuning, optimizing, deploying and supporting MySQL instances in a high volume transactional environment with critical uptime requirements for a business providing 24/7 SaaS and/or e-commerce solutions.
- Must have configured and managed online backup technologies in MySQL and ensure disaster recovery and data retention protocols (backup, monitoring, security, installation).
- Knowledge of any NoSQL DB technology such as Cassandra, Mongo is a big plus.
- Software development experience OR System Administration experience is a big plus.
- Proficiency in working with AWS Technologies or in other Cloud offerings is a big plus.
- Experience working in a DevOps model with such technologies as Gitlab, Chef, Terraform, Kubernetes, etc. is a big plus.
- Excellent troubleshooting and performance tuning skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, customer service skills and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and cost efficiently in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-driven environment, with the ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
- Self Motivated and Demonstrated ability to work in a sourced model using the onsite/offshore model
- Strong experience with programming in either Python, Ruby, PERL or Shell scripting is essential.
- Professionalism in dealing with all levels of management and staff.…and, in general, the potential to sweep us off our feet!
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, PF with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Don’t Just Play It – Create It!
Community / Marketing Title: Senior DB Engineer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-06-13 21:28:50.76
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.