Sr Manager Software Engineering - Social Platform
Location: Redwood City, California, United States
Requisition Number: 153851
Position Title: Sr Manager Engineering
We Are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is not easy. That's why we employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry.
Save the planet from Alien Invaders. Score the winning touchdown.
Yup - It's the coolest job on the planet!
The Challenge Ahead:
Is to enhance social capabilities within our games. We believe that people want to experience and play games with others, and that games are more fun when experienced as part of a team. We want to make it easy for players to find other players they already know and create new relationships with people they’ve just met inside a game. We aim to build better recommenders for a variety of different games to recommend people to teams, friends to people, and opponents. We want to incentivize users to engage socially and create a sense of community.
What a Senior Engineering Manager does within EADP Social Division at EA:
As a Senior Engineering Manager, your primary responsibility will be to lead a team of engineers in design, building and operating several of our social services. Most of your time will be spent working with and leading the team in the design and execution of new features, while optimizing performance and scalability of the service. You will also spend time working with product managers to create new features to support EA's many games. As a people manager, you will help shape people’s careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. Engineering leads at EA are expected to live by EA’s values: Be Human First, Play as One, Aim and Inspire, Listen and Improve.
- Build an excellent online services team and grow and guide your team members.
- Roughly 50% hands-on coding - you can lead by example
- Lead the technical design and architecture of major components in our large-scale distributed HTTP based backend service, creating new features and updating existing ones
- Work with customers and business leaders to understand customer needs and delivering incrementally on their highest priority features and requirements.
- Develop and test your live services in production. You will oversee them, and good game experiences depend on your service performance and reliability.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Technical leadership, and mentoring experience.
- Understand the Software design/architecture process
- Superb ability to take high-level direction, gain clarity and execute in an iterative model
- Understand DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and Agile development
- Experience building on large distributed applications
- Experience working on high traffic services and scalable systems. You understand how to design service monitoring and how to load test properly.
- Can explain technical issues to technical and lyamen audiences
- 9 or more years’ experience developing object-oriented software (preferably in Java)
- 6 or more years’ experience working on online services (HTTP with REST) at Internet consumer scale
- 2 or more years’ experience leading teams of engineers.
Nice to have Skills:
- Experience building on Amazon Web Services, specifically DynamoDB, Kinesis, and Elastic Beanstalk strongly encouraged.
- Experience with Bamboo / Maven / Java 8
- Use of technologies such as Memcached or Redis, queuing, and NoSQL in production systems helps as does deployment automation experience, e.g. Terraform.
- Experience working with remote teams
- Domain experience promoting social services in other games or other departments (e.g. building chat systems, friend leaderboards, etc.)
Community / Marketing Title: Sr Manager Software Engineering - Social Platform
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-11-30 00:23:49.36
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.