Lead Combat Designer
Requisition Number: 113274
Position Title: Sr Game Designer
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, partnering with DICE on Star Wars Battlefront II and pushing the boundaries with our own brand new IP.
We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards.
We are looking for a creative and passionate person to take the role of combat designer at Criterion. Working collaboratively with other designers, engineers and almost all other disciplines you will lead the design of combat within a AAA title.
You are passionate about:
- Game Feel
- All types of combat in games but in particularly melee combat
- Action and Action Adventure games
- Physics and physicality in games
- Working with teams across disciplines and crafts: engineering, art, audio, QA to name a few
- The way we create: not doing things just because that’s the way we’ve done them before, understanding change is a necessary part of success
- The people you work with: asking appropriate questions and being open to new solutions is key to you and the team’s development
- Generous collaboration: a desire and inherent need to work with others to achieve great things, develop new ideas and truly innovate
What a Designer does at Criterion:
Designers at Criterion works extremely closely with all disciplines to deliver against the vision for the game. They do this by leading and directing design meetings, conducting brainstorms, exploring play through prototype, implementing and balancing systems and focusing on delivering world class, player-first experiences.
More specifically, as the combat designer, you will be responsible for working with creative leadership and other discipline leads to plan, prototype and build combat systems. These innovative systems will challenge the status quo of action games to deliver best in class game feel.
Experience and knowledge we are looking for
We are looking for someone with extensive experience in the technical design of animation based systems and a desire to innovate in the combat space, who understands the complexities of AAA development and is driven to deliver world-class quality. Preparedness for this role is rooted in:
- Prior experience with designing animation based systems in a shipped game
- A strong understanding of combat systems in games
- The ability to thrive in cross discipline teams delivering world-class quality
- Enthusiasm for working in our highly collaborative and friendly environment
- Experience of leading the feature design process from prototype to final
- Experience of working on AAA console or PC titles
Not essential requirements but certainly helpful qualities and skills
- Experience of designing combat systems
- Craft experience in game development as an animator or engineer
- Visual scripting experience
- Technical knowledge of physics or biomechanics
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages.
More importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com/
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Combat Designer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2017-07-21 08:00:00.0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Guildford, GB