Associate Game Designer
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Requisition Number: 160514
Position Title: Associate Game Designer
Associate Game Designer
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, India
We’re EA—the world’s largest video game publisher. You’re probably familiar with many of our titles—Madden, FIFA, The Sims, Need for Speed, Dead Space, Battlefield and Star Wars, to name a few. But maybe you don’t know how we’re committed to creating games for every platform—from social to mobile to console—to give our consumers that anytime, anywhere access they demand. What does that mean for you? It means more opportunities to unleash your creative genius, be inspired by those around you and ignite your path in any direction you choose.
As EA's first label dedicated to purely digital games, EA Mobile creates games for mobile devices, social networks and online environments that deliver seamless play anytime, anywhere, on any device. Connecting a market of more than one billion core and masscasual gamers worldwide, EA Mobile delivers engaging, accessible, high quality games to people of all skill levels and interests.
The EA Mobile portfolio encompasses some of the most recognizable entertainment brands in the world, including titles such as The Simpsons, Tetris Blitz, SCRABBLE, MONOPOLY, Plants vs Zombies 2, Real Racing 3, Dungeon Keeper as well as online games destination Pogo.com.
The Hyderabad office represents one of EA Mobile’s largest development organizations with more than 700 passionate mobile game experts involved in game development, testing, production and distribution. The game development studio is a team within this organization that is committed to building and running live services for some of EA’s top games.
Our vision is to be EA Mobile’s center of excellence for Live Services and help grow the footprint of casual games in the market.
Here are the values we truly believe in:
Tenacity – Hunger to prove yourself and keep pushing the boundary
Ownership – Get things done
Passion – Passionate about the art of making games
Collaboration – Great things are not done by an individual but by a team of highly motivated folks
Alchemy – Create magic in everything you do
Game Designers are responsible for devising what a game consists of and how it plays, following the vision of the Creative/Game Director. They plan and define all the elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, vehicles, and devices available to the characters; interface design; and game modes.
Originality and creativity are valued, but a thorough knowledge of a game’s target audience and market is equally if not more important. Game Designers should also have a deep understanding of the capabilities and benefits of different hardware platforms (e.g. Mobile, PC, console,), as well as familiarity with software technologies and techniques appropriate to each platform.
It is the Game Designer’s responsibility to ensure that the whole team understands and shares the original concept and vision of the game as outlined by the Creative/Game Director. During development, the Game Designer adjusts the original specification to respond to technical constraints and to incorporate new programming and art creation methods developed by the team. The Game Designer also trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product.
What skills does EA look for?
There is no set route to becoming a Game Designer. However, this is not an entry level role. Game development is a highly complex, so the Game Designer must be able to work closely with teams of programmers, artists, project managers, writers, musicians, and many others. The Game Designer usually has a reasonably high level of industry experience and knowledge. EA usually expects to see a portfolio of work, which can take the form of completed game projects or written game design documents and proposals.
Game development is a collaborative process involving multi-disciplinary teams. Designers must be able to communicate their vision to artists, programmers, producers, marketing staff, and others involved in the development process, and accept feedback on their work.
When looking for Game Designers EA values a thorough understanding of gameplay theory. Excellent communication and presentation skills are a must, along with storytelling and narrative development skills. The ideal candidate possesses information design and user interface design skill. They must be able to work both as part of a team and independently. Last but not least, they must display systematic and strategic thinking as well as imagination and creativity.
As far as educational background, Game Designers can study a range of subjects, from the sciences and humanities to art and design. There are also a growing number of gamesrelated degree programs and courses available for study, and a degree in this type of program would be a plus. Prospective Game Designers should check the content of courses, particularly the balance between programming, game art, and game design.
- Work with multi-disciplined teams including Producers, Artists, Programmers, Marketing and other Leads to drive the team’s understanding of the project’s vision.
- Develop and maintain level design documentation, including but not limited to mechanics, guidelines, and gameplay outlines.
- Plan and define all the elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, and peripherals available to the characters; interface design; and game modes.
- Develop Prototypes in any tool of preference in order to prove design concept to team and iterate.
- Contribute by bringing new ideas to the table regarding every facet of the game.
- Coordinate with Leads to ensure that level design documentation and implementation are realistic and remain on schedule; participate in regular, hands-on interaction with Producer and Software Engineers to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements.
- Lead assigned development team to define the creative vision, technical specifications, fun factor and product content for assigned products.
- Establish, maintain and enhance relationships with internal and external creative resources.
- Establishes focus groups; trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product.
Skills and Experience :
- 4+ years of game design experience.
- Experience working on mobile F2P games from concept through live service.
- Designed and developed major game systems for at least one shipped mobile title.
- Demonstrable content creation skills.
- Outstanding self-motivation and initiative in a highly dynamic environment.
- Creatively, analytically and organizationally skilled with proven ability to write, communicate and maintain detailed design documentation throughout the game life cycle.
- Demonstrative proof of an open-minded, upbeat, progressive thinker who is flexible, energetic, and driven with the ability to overcome obstacles and challenges with working solutions.
- Remain current on industry trends including new game genres, new game design methods and emerging platforms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Scripting experience is a plus.
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Game Designer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-03-30 08:05:19.13
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.