Lead Environment Artist
Location: Pasadena, California, United States
Requisition Number: 157384
Position Title: Senior Environment Artist 2
Industrial Toys, creator of Midnight Star and Midnight Star: Renegade, is a AAA mobile developer founded by Halo veteran Alex Seropian. Industrial Toys is working on the cutting edge of FPS gaming on mobile and is looking for like-minded people to join the team who are also “Mobile To The Core!” If you’re interested in creating innovative experiences that will reach mobile players around the world, we would like to hear from you!
The Lead Environment Artist works closely with the Art Director and Technical Leads to help define visual standards and technical specifications of environment assets for the project. In addition to creating high quality 3D terrains, buildings, and props, the Lead Environment Artist sets processes, standard workflows and pipelines for the project and communicates these to the environment team. The ideal candidate proactively seeks opportunities to elevate the game, embraces constructive feedback, and thrives in a highly collaborative environment.
We are seeking a Lead Environment Artist who is passionate about creating compelling environments, who has achieved an excellence in environment modeling, texturing and lighting and is eager to join us in our drive to push quality to the next level.
- Create high quality in-game maps, models and materials (textures).
- Partner with design team to support encounters, narrative elements and objectives
- Provide artistic guidance to internal artists
- Drive the production of environments using the Unreal engine. Model/Texture, Material, Lighting, Optimization
- Collaborate with Technical Artists to create and improve tools and workflows.
- Translate 2D concept artwork, as well as written and verbal direction into playable game art
- Get involved in setting the broader visual style of the game
- Optimize asset creation/pipeline for mobile performance
- Review work from external partners and provide feedback.
- Work fast and collaboratively to make your stuff happen
- Drive the creation of playable worlds through hands-on work
- Create visually stunning and efficient 3D models of natural and architectural environments
- 5+ years of experience in videogame development including several development cycles
- A Strong 3D environment art portfolio demonstrating expert craftsmanship with a track record of creative immersive environments
- Thorough understanding of current artistic/technical requirements for video game production pipelines
- Experience managing and mentoring other artists
- Mastery in industry standard software like Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into the pipeline.
- Ability to create textures/materials using painting and node-based techniques (e.g. Substance Painter and Designer) and experience working with physically based rendering
- Strong ability to adapt and execute in different art styles (photorealistic and stylized)
- Strong understanding of fundamental visual design principles including color, lighting, composition, form, structure, silhouette, scale, surface properties and detail
- Exceptional ability to create both organic and hard-surface models
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Thorough understanding of how environments affect gameplay
- Ability to find solutions from a visual, production, and technical perspective
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-disciplinary teams to envision, plan, schedule, execute and optimize environments that support and enhance gameplay.
- Experience in Unreal Engine
- Experience in Lighting
- Experience in working with remote teams (outsourcing)
- Mobile gaming passion
- Architecture or traditional art background, cinematography experience
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Environment Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-09-04 21:12:11.027
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.