Requisition Number: 150389
Position Title: Technical Artist 1
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Technical Artist is an individual contributor who provides the link between art and programming, with responsibility for the technical delivery of art across a distributed production environment.
What Senior Technical Artist does at Criterion:
Working alongside peers on technical art team and with Technical Art Director, you will help design, create and maintain the art workflow/pipeline, writing & documenting tools to solve team needs, both internally and supporting the outsource team. The successful candidate will need to have good artistic skills together with understanding of art workflows and scripting/programming.
As Senior Technical Artist you will Collaborate and communicate with content creators using a service-minded attitude, seeking to understand requirements and offer support (via time, training, documentation, or other forms) as necessary
A Technical Artist also needs:
- Genuine passion for art and motivation to help artists to focus on creating art instead of fighting technical problems
- A proven track record as a Technical Artist with at least one AAA title shipped
- Ability to work within a team of experienced technical artists. Great communication skills, a drive to improve everything and a motivation to make a difference
- Demonstrable 3D Engine experience - familiarity with game engine workflows, asset requirements, performance budgets and profiling in Unreal, Unity or similar
- Practical knowledge of performance optimization in games.
- Advanced knowledge of 3D (Maya/MEL/Houdini/Python/SDK) & 2D Packages (Photoshop, Substance Painter/Designer)
- Familiarity with asset conditioning and import/export pipelines
- Commitment to continuously learning and familiarizing oneself with various technologies, technical concepts, ideas, and problems
- Must be a great multi-tasker and able to track progress and solve problems
Additional skills (one or more of the listed ones would be a big plus)
- Knowledge of rigging tools and character pipelines
- Knowledge of shader authoring techniques
- Experience and strong interest in procedural content creation (Houdini)
- Knowledge of Visual Studio C#/C++ is a bonus
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, so we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
We thought you might also want to know:
More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com/
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-05-16 19:56:49.66
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Guildford, GB