BioWare: Writer Contract
Location: Austin, Texas US
Requisition Number: 118487
Position Title: Assistant Game Designer
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
Who a contract Writer is at BioWare:
- Developing engaging storylines in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Collaborating with the Creative Director to guide overall project story direction.
- Creating branching interactive narratives that are driven by player choices and feature exciting, memorable, and diverse characters.
- Maintaining detailed documentation of plotlines, characters, and choices for reference by other departments.
- Implementing storyline edits based on creative feedback, design changes, and shifting content schedules.
- Experience in creative writing, plot design, and especially writing dialogue to be performed by actors.
- 2+ years of experience in creating interactive dialogue in a collaborative studio or related environment (example: creation of high-quality mod content in released games).
- Ability to deliver original stories on a weekly deadline.
- Ability to write from a variety of voices and perspectives (different genders, backgrounds, ages, etc.)
- Willingness to work under direction while maintaining creativity.
- Excellent written English skills.
- Strong ability to communicate.
- Highly organized – ability to manage multiple story arcs and their relationships with each other.
How do I apply for this role?
- Submit your current resume and writing sample.
- Writing sample should include a brief story outline for a simple in-game quest, and an interactive dialogue scene set within that quest.
- Story Outline should be:
- 1000 words or less, set within an existing BioWare franchise.
- Describe the plotline and any key characters in an exciting and evocative way.
- Feature a choice, complication, twist, or reveal and its impact on the characters and storyline.
- Demonstrate player agency within the plot.
- Interactive Dialogue Scene should be:
- Under 5000 words.
- Composed using Twine or a linked Microsoft Word document. If submitting a Twine sample, please provide a hyperlink to a playable online version of the sample.
- Feature engaging characters with distinct, memorable, and fun personalities.
- Demonstrate the choice, complication, twist, or reveal described in the Story Outline.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/austin
Community / Marketing Title: BioWare: Writer Contract
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-03-16 08:00:00.0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Austin, Texas US