Associate Quality Designer
Location: Redwood City, California US
Requisition Number: 154121
Position Title: Associate Quality Designer
Associate Quality Designer - Maxis
Quality Designers are individual contributors specialized in key domains of the QA process. Depending on the domain of specialty they will work embedded within the Development organization or on a central/shared group, drive continuous improvement of the QA practice across EA and actively knowledge share across the organization, have a strong Quality mindset from a consumer perspective, and be a strong advocate and influencer in game design and implementation decisions.
The Associate Quality Designer role will be tasked to collect, analyze and use data to guide their daily decisions. Key items to focus on include: balance and tuning, features and systems, customer data, processes and workflows, the proper selection of metrics to use, and how to analyze/synthesize data. They are expected to apply black-box and grey-box testing, utilizing data and automated testing to identify bugs as early as possible in the development cycle. They review designs to make sure that the title reduces the amount of bugs it creates, and will designs for “fun”. This requires strong test strategies and experience which challenge the software to ensure a very high level of quality (Functional, Reliable, Usable and High Performance).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of the importance of metrics and analytics and regularly utilizes them when doing research and providing feedback.
- Reviews with other Designers/partners the overall impact of game features and their influence on key game metric; provides risk-analysis to development if/when necessary.
- Utilizes external telemetry data and works with SETs/Analysts to make franchise engineering decisions for future titles or for titles in development\iteration where data is available.
- Leverages deep understanding of the game features and systems to help review and provide feedback on what telemetry will be valuable to the game team post launch
- Identifies, proposes and implements viable process and measurement solutions within team.
- Articulates trends in a relevant community. Understands what the community wants and expects from a type of game and incorporates that understanding into feedback.
- Breaks down and provides an analysis of the competition. Identifies product differentiation and provides impact analysis.
- Is capable to translate End to End Customer experience into Test Strategies for a Product.
- Actively shares domain knowledge within team. Proactively seeks out knowledge within EA that may aid in task/work execution.
- Problem solving with peers. Mentors junior designers on problem solving.
- Begins to use critical thinking techniques to analyze, synthesize and evaluate information.
- Provides task breakdown, planning, dependencies and time estimates for his/her own assignments.
- Provides input to management team to assist decision making; helps assess project impact of available options.
- Understands key projects issues and articulates those to key stakeholders.
- Uses basic problem-solving techniques (i.e., understands inputs and outputs, uses hypothesis setting and testing, etc.) Works collaboratively with other analysts to solve problems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent work experience)
- 5+ years’ experience in Data/Product Analysis, Quality Assurance or comparable development experience
- Expertise in various data analysis tools and practices
- Understanding of quality assurance techniques, frameworks and methodologies
- Agile and Games industry experience is a plus
- Excellent understanding of software quality assurance concepts, debugging processes and procedures
- Understanding of the software development life cycle and how it applies to QA
- Ability to develop and foster strong working relationships with development partners, customers, support teams, and management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including accurate and timely reporting
- Strong observational skills, analytical and detail oriented
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills and experience working in Scrum/Agile environment a plus
- Ability to take ownership of project requirements without constant supervision
- Ability to analyze personal and team process for innovation opportunities, and escalate potential improvements
- Familiarity with PC/Console hardware/software/peripheral knowledge.
- Familiarity with Maxis is a must.
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Quality Designer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-12-18 19:02:57.75
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location: Redwood City
Location_formattedLocationLong: Redwood City, California US