Head of Legal - Competitive Gaming Division
Location: Playa Vista, California US
Requisition Number: 152630
Position Title: Managing Attorney
Head of Legal for Competitive Gaming Division
We are seeking an attorney with 12 or more years of experience to spearhead our global legal support of EA’s Competitive Gaming Division (CGD). You will be the primary legal point of contact for senior CGD leadership and work on a wide variety of commercial, risk management and governance matters involving a range of legal and regulatory issues related to gaming, tournaments, sports and entertainment. This position will report to EA’s General Counsel. It will be based at one of our West Coast offices – either Redwood Shores, CA; Los Angeles, CA; or Seattle, WA.
What a Head of Legal for Competitive Gaming Division does at EA:
- Working with CGD leadership and production teams, provides practical guidance and strategic input, assess and manage risks for the CGD business, including the development, operation, marketing and broadcast of global eSports events.
- Develops innovative legal solutions that take into consideration global regulations, licensor requirements, and business realities. Monitors regulatory landscapes and business developments in the esports industry that could impact our CGD business.
- Provides frequent guidance, updates and feedback to the relevant members of the global legal CGD team. Regularly updates General Counsel and the legal leadership team on CGD strategy.
- Work as a member of a cross-functional team to drive creation and maintenance of rulesets, policies and practices for operation of CGD events and tournaments.
- Oversees legal support of other CGD counsel. Provides clear leadership, mentorship and support to CGD Counsel.
- Provides commercial transactional support for CGD, which includes drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements (g., production, broadcasting, talent, content creation and promotional agreements). Develops and maintains CGD commercial templates.
- Creates strong partnerships with CGD business partners and collaborates closely with other legal colleagues, including game product counsel, specialist counsel for IP, promotions and data protection, and the policy and gov’t affairs team.
The Head of Legal for Competitive Gaming Division needs:
- J.D. degree required.
- 12 or more years of relevant experience, with both in-house and top-tier law firm experience. Prior experience in sports, entertainment and/or media broadcasting and production is required.
- Familiarity with employment, privacy, ecommerce, intellectual property, consumer protection, advertising, and marketing laws and regulations.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills along with excellent communication skills, business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Comfortable and adept at supporting a fast-paced, evolving business, balancing legal risk and thinking creatively to propel the business forward and enable smart decisions.
- Must be a team player, who approaches problem solving by seeking collaboration and solutions. Pursues everything with energy, professionalism and drive for excellence.
Community / Marketing Title: Head of Legal - Competitive Gaming Division
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-09-18 14:35:35.323
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location: Los Angeles - Playa Vista
Location_formattedLocationLong: Playa Vista, California US