Associate Technical Director
Location: Melbourne, Victoria AU
Requisition Number: 151609
Position Title: Associate Technical Director
Associate Technical Director - Firemonkeys Server Team
Electronic Arts’ Firemonkeys Studio in Melbourne, Australia is highly regarded throughout the industry as a leader in delivering high quality, engaging games on iOS and Android. We release new meaningful updates on a regular basis for our live mobile games such as Real Racing 3, The Sims FreePlay, Need for Speed, and many more.
The Challenge Ahead
The Firemonkeys Server team is responsible for developing server technologies to enable the Firemonkeys mobile game teams to build highly scalable server backends. We work closely with our game team partners to develop solutions and work in an agile way.
The successful candidate will be experienced both as an individual contributor and as a lead for a small engineering team using modern agile practices. You well lead the development of the server application framework, managing timelines and balancing feature quality with delivery. We are looking for an experienced energetic candidate with a background developing scalable services who can quickly familiarize themselves with multiple technologies, is a good communicator, and works well with others.
- Manage and mentor a small team of server engineers
- Manage communications with EA game and tech partner teams
- Plan and prioritise work with the Server and Game Team Leads
- Support Game Teams using the Firemonkeys Server Framework
- Propose and build enhancements to the server technology
- Architect highly scalable services to meet current and future needs
- Work with the Server Team Lead to set the technical direction of the team and facilitate productivity improvements to workflows
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience developing on Agile teams
- Experience mentoring teams
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience building, troubleshooting, and optimising highly scalable services
- 10+ years of professional development experience
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
- Experience with shipping either Go or Java
- Experience using AWS
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes highly advantageous
- Good business sense – ability to manage non-technical hurdles to getting things done
- Willing to travel if required
- Willing to periodically be on call to server issues
- Modern studio, located next to Southern Cross Station.
- Subsidised health care programme and gym allowance.
- Excellent employee benefits, bonuses and share options.
- Subsidised games and consoles, with additional games available to take home to play.
- Fully stocked kitchen for breakfast, lunch, fresh fruit and hot drinks.
- Friday night socials and regular team building outings.
How to Apply
Please submit your application by clicking the ‘Apply’ button.
For enquiries, please email CareersAustralia@ea.com
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Technical Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-07-24 09:37:12.08
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Melbourne, Victoria AU