Animation Development Director
Requisition Number: 118023
Position Title: DD II
CRAFT is a highly-engaged content creation team within EA Worldwide Studios. We are creatively driven and focused on high end visual production across multiple genres and art styles. Working with our game team partners around the world, we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences and industry leading visuals. We are adventurous and creative. We are courageous, and we take chances. We seek pioneers who cut new paths and conquer challenges with fierce determination. We look for the best in everyone.
EA Studios Content is seeking a Development Director to be the business leader for our global Animation team. With core teams in three main locations: Vancouver, Canada; Orlando, Florida; and Los Angeles, California. The Animation Development Director will work closely with the Animation Director to drive the vision and operational strategy of the central animation group and oversee production of high end cinematics.
What the Animation Development Director will do:
- Responsible for operations and team leadership of the CRAFT central Animation group, both short term production execution and long-term vision for the team.
- Partners closely with CRAFT Animation and Technical Animation Directors to ensure team roles, organizational structure, processes, and best practices to produce high quality and efficiency animation and effective team dynamics.
- Manages staff development, in partnership with Art Director & Technical Art Director, to enable team to perform at highest potential and deliver excellent quality animation. Responsible for overseeing team development strategies across the department including training, mentoring, career development and feedback, team health management, and team intercommunications.
- In partnership with Art Director & Technical Art Director, develops resolutions to production challenges, long term growth strategy for the department, appropriate resource mix and distributed development strategy for animation, and manages partner team relationships and communications.
- Owns overall project reporting, risk management, issue resolution and capacity balancing across titles. Manages production escalations as necessary to maintain team and production stability and establish effective relationships to support optimal creative and business outcomes.
- Owns financial management of the department, including total operational expenses and forecasting, development chargeback reconciliation, and YOY budgeting, in partnership with finance team.
- Owns resource scalability strategy for all central animation scope including long range planning for internal development and outsourcing strategy,in partnership with Resource Management Office and the Distributed Development Leads.
- Maintains knowledge of the craft of animation and anticipates the evolution of our business; designs operations that wills scale to the future potential of the craft and industry. Facilitates building a team of passionate creators and enables team to thrive. Represents Animation Dept and CRAFT, Content and EA with pride and enthusiasm.
- Ability to travel frequently is required to build and manage partnerships with studio teams and CRAFT Animation team members across multiple studios.
Who You Are:
- 7+ years of operations and leadership experience with strong leadership skills with the ability to challenge and influence a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience managing cross-departmental productions specifically in the areas of gaming narrative development, cinematics, and animation is required. Must have experience tracking such projects from concept and previz phase through to final delivery, with an eye for quality and innovation as well as budget and schedule compliance.
- The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of project operations acquired from a minimum of 5+ years experience in project management on AAA game franchises or similar software development projects.
- Experience managing a large project with Agile project management principles and practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and possesses strong emotional intelligence skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills - able to work on complex problems where analysis of situations requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
Please note, this is not a creative role, this is a business leadership function within the Animation Department.
Community / Marketing Title: Animation Development Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burnaby, British Columbia CA