Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
Requisition Number: 155387
Position Title: Technical Director I
The Technical Director (TD) is the most senior engineering position in game development. The TD is accountable for all of the technology and the overall quality of the shared rendering code for EA Sports. The TD is expected to be a key influencer at EA, helping to achieve studio-wide development goals. The TD is responsible for getting studio consent for all rendering related issues, and they are counted on to drive best practices for requirements, design, and architecture. The TD is also expected to innovate and pioneer design process, workflow, metrics, planning, and architecture. They encourage submissions of patents for ideas created at EA, interact on technical issues with a wide range of partners (e.g., hardware vendors, universities, third-party vendors), and examine technology developments in other industries to influence direction.
- Responsible for all technical decisions across a product
- Final reviewer for all technical design documents
- Maintaining a stable code platform
- Cross Platform Development
- Engine Level Code Design and Architecture
- Researching and implementing cutting-edge rendering techniques
- Multi-year technical planning across a project(s)
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Working with other Technical Directors & Senior Engineers to promote new technology & processes across the studio / company
- Defining and adhering to key performance metrics
What skills does EA look for in a Technical Director?
EA looks for extensive experience with all technology systems and pipelines. The TD must be a great team leader and a great team player, with great technical skills as well as unflagging energy and focus. The TD must also have excellent oral and written communication skills. They typically have a degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and have a minimum of 8+ years of game programming experience. Most TDs have been a Lead or mentored a small engineering team. They have strong C++ programming skills, plus solid experience in low-level programming and debugging and in integrating complex systems. They also have experience in using automated testing, unit testing, or Configuration Management processes.
Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
- 8+ years development experience
- Proficiency with C++
- Experience in object-oriented design and implementation.
- CPU/GPU Optimization
- Domain knowledge in multiple areas such as gameplay, online, rendering, physics, animation, runtime, or platform technologies is a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices and development methodologies; specifically Agile Scrum
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization.
- Experience in the design and implementation of cutting edge graphics techniques and detailed knowledge of graphics hardware
- Prior experience shipping a console game (i.e. PS4, Xbox)
- Ability to test, debug, and extend other Software Engineer's code competently.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Constantly innovate how to improve product quality as well as group productivity.
- Excellent decision making capabilities.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions.
- Experience mentoring a large team of engineers.
- Ability to foster a strong community with an emphasis on high performance and guaranteed delivery.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-04-29 19:02:51.667
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.