Software Engineer (Build / Systems)
Location: Guildford, GB
Requisition Number: 150734
Position Title: Software Engineer II
We are EA
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead
For development teams looking to increase efficiencies and improve quality of their software, one of the most important places to focus is the software build process. This is where EA Development Release and Engineering comes in (DRE).
This position within DRE is responsible for software builds and releases as well as looking into the future on how to evolve these technologies, using tools like Infrastructure as Code and advanced Virtualization.
We are looking for an engineer in this field to work with our team in Guildford. You would be working mainly with evolving the Continuous Integration and Deployment systems for the games being developed at Criterion.
You would also collaborate with other teams in EA Europe, such as FIFA, Frostbite, Ghost Games and DICE.
What does a Software Engineer do at EA?
This is an interesting and developing role that will need knowledge and experience from multiple disciplines within software development and practices. It´s essential to be a great communicator since interaction with the game teams is key to secure a high-quality service. You will be expected to take part in negotiating requirements with senior TDs in the game team, develop these into detailed plans and then work with the team to ensure they are delivered.
The candidate will also be responsible for the development of build scripts, installation procedures, and systems including source code control, build systems and issue tracking. We will work closely with game development as well as our quality assurance and automation teams to ensure final version is up to organizational standards.
What skills do you need?
- Smart, self-motivated, keen to learn and adaptable
- Customer and team orientated
- Windows (and ideally Linux) configuration and operation.
- A basic understanding of networking and networking technologies (TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, etc)
- Ability in a scripting programming language, at least one of: Python, Powershell, Ruby, Go, VBScript/JScript or similar
- Familiarity with build processes and workflows. At least one of: Make, Maven, Visual Studio/MSBuild
- Familiarity with Source Control concepts and one or more of: Git, Perforce, Subversion, etc.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration concepts and ideally experience in one or more of: GitLab, Jenkins, TeamCity, etc
Nice to have:
- Understanding and abilities in compiled languages such as C#, Java (C++ a bonus)
- An understanding of typical game or product development cycles, development/testing/release.
- Familiarity with Databases, message queues.
- Package repositories.
- Virtual Machines, virtualisation technologies, e.g. containers.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, so we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day. We look forward to receiving your application!
More about the studio
More about our location
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineer (Build / Systems)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-05-31 21:11:16.197
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Guildford, GB