Senior Development Director
Location: Guildford, GB
Requisition Number: 150680
Position Title: Sr DD
CRITERION SENIOR DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion have recently embarked on their most ambitious projects to date, partnering with DICE on Star Wars Battlefront II and now pushing the boundaries with our own brand-new IP.
We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards.
We are looking for someone to take a senior role as a production leader in the studio. This person will inspire, influence, coach, and develop the team that they work with at Criterion.
We are looking for someone driven to get things done who is a creative, enthusiastic and a natural leader.
They will be responsible for ensuring a project or selection of projects have credible plans and the teams are set up for success to deliver on them. In addition, they will be accountable for effective and efficient development of these projects to meet their delivery of budget, time and quality.
You are passionate about all of the following:
- Coaching and facilitating people to achieve studio, project and personal goals
- Applying, defining and implementing the right development process to suit the challenge
- A curiosity to learn more the craft of a Development Manager as well as a passion to learn from others and share
- The way we create: not doing things just because that’s the way we’ve done them before, understanding change is a necessary part of success
- The people you work with: asking appropriate questions and being open to new solutions is key to you and your team’s development
- Generous collaborator: a desire and inherent need to work with others to achieve great things, develop ideas, plans and strategies
What a Senior Development Director does at Criterion:
As a leader you will set your own priorities but a typical week could include:
- Champions the plan: collaborating with all Criterion talent to develop plans and achieve success
- Coaches people: coach and develop other DDs to achieve our team goals and their personal goals
- Coaches teams on process: selecting most suitable process and most valuable metrics, communicating plans, challenges and tracking to the team
- Leads the way to achieve high performing teams, creating and championing best practice
- Identifies, mitigates or manages project risks
- Provides effective feedback: to both people you manage and members of your team
- Nurture a healthy and happy team
- Manage project budgets in line with studio and project priorities
- Collaborates effectively with studio leadership and in particular the Director of Product Development (DPD)
Experience and knowledge we are looking for
We are looking for someone who understands the challenges of making complex projects with multi-disciplined, distributed teams and the inherent elements of uncertainty and risk that accompany this.
Preparedness for this role is rooted in:
- Prior experience as an SDD or equivalent senior project manager
- Ability to manage large project teams over development cycles of varied periods of time
- Solid understanding of project management practices and process
- Expert in people management
- Experience building and maintaining high performing teams
- Experience working with external partners to deliver on projects
Not essential requirements but certainly helpful qualities and skills
- Experience in delivering games
- Experience working in media or creative industries such as film and TV
- Craft experience in game development as an artist, programmer etc.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We realise it takes world-class people to make world-class games, so we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.
We thought you might also want to know:
More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Development Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-05-31 09:01:08.413
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Guildford, GB