Principal Character Artist (Star Wars Team)
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Requisition Number: 158768
Position Title: Senior Character Artist 2
We’re looking for a Principal Character Artist who is passionate about bringing heroes and villains to life through their 3D artistry. The ideal candidate for this position has a strong grasp of organic subject matter and can nail realistic, high quality models and textures for everything from compelling human faces to creatures, mechs, costumes, and gear.
What’s it like to be a Character Artist at Respawn?
- Day to Day - As a Character Artist you will create high quality, visually appealing 3D characters. Your day to day work may include various subject matter such as human characters, creatures, mechs, skins, and other assets for use in game. You will own your work from start to finish, while also collaborating with others to design characters from the ground up, iterate on existing characters, and ensure the work fits into the vision for art direction and ultimate gameplay goals.
- Teamwork - As a member of the character art team, you will work closely with others within your department as well as other disciplines within the team. You will collaborate closely with concept artists, tech animators/artists, and animators to create solid characters and bring them to life. Developing amazing characters that players can attach to is a team effort, and you will work together with other talented team members to create what works best for the game.
- Values - Our art team cares about developing both high quality art and a high quality player experience. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They seek to raise the bar of what “great” looks like. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff both visually and for our players.
- Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. As a Character Artist you will have the opportunity to own your work from start to completion, whether it is a full character or skins for an existing character. This includes modeling, texturing, and even contributing towards the design of the character as appropriate. You will have the opportunity to use your taste and judgement to bring relatable characters to life while maintaining cohesion with the overall artistic vision for the game. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
- Growth - At Respawn we believe that all of our team members are on a path of professional development, and making progress in that journey is a key component of happiness and satisfaction in one’s work. Our team members are encouraged to follow their career interests, while also challenging themselves. To facilitate this, our leads work with each team member to identify areas of strength, and areas of desired development, and whenever possible, assign tasks and projects which will inspire the team member to grow in skill, knowledge, and capability.
What do we look for in Character Artist candidates?
- You’ve Made Stuff You are Proud Of - We are excited to see your artistic passion, creativity, attention to detail, and keen eye for quality shine in your artwork. What we’d love to see in your portfolio is work that you developed yourself from start to finish - highly detailed 3D art with a focus on character models, highly realistic textures (skin, hair, worn fabric/accessories, etc.), accurate anatomy, detailed clothing, etc. Your portfolio ideally shows quality, taste, and ability to hit a believable look. We’d love to see work that you designed yourself as well as work that showcases your ability to capture the likeness of existing concept art. Most of all, we are looking forward to seeing the work that you feel are examples of your best.
- Beyond Art - You Are A Game Developer - As an artist you bring the passion and skill for creating amazing artwork, but you also have an understanding of game development practices that help make sure your work helps enhances the players’ connection with the character they are playing as well as characters they interact with. You understand the greater goals of an incredible gameplay experience and how to collaborate with concept artists, tech artists, and animators to ensure the best results possible, as well as making sure that your art assets are performant and fit into memory budgets.
- Passion - We look for Character Artists who are highly passionate. Our art team is constantly sharing knowledge and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team members love what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience - We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people who have a knack for hands on artistry, but who also balance their drive to make cool stuff with the understanding of what is highest priority for the players’ experience.
- A Spirit for Collaboration - Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what’s best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will collaborate closely with other departments. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you also will have...
7+ years’ experience as a 3D Character Artist.
Mastery of relevant software packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Substance, and Zbrush.
Strong understanding of scale, proportion, and surface properties.
Experience working within a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
Strong understanding of human anatomy
Some hard surface skills
Passion for making and playing games.
Shipped AAA game(s) a plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Character Artist (Star Wars Team)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-11-27 20:32:03.36
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.